Friday, December 31, 2010

The Gentle of Leisure's Top 5 Not Very Definitive Film List of 2010

The Gentleman of Leisure
seen at the back of his European cinema
trying to locate a preferable seat in the darkness
and being hampered by the fact he is wearing sunglasses.
Or The Gentleman is resting against a pole from which
he is awaiting the ball to drop signaling the beginning
of the New Year of 2011.
Either way ...
he is comfortable and without a care in the world.

It's time once again for another Top 5 List from THE FUTURIST!'s mysterious friend in faraway Europe ... The Gentleman of Leisure. As most readers will recall, The Gentleman lives an idle life of whim and relaxation supported by whatever means necessary and totally unencumbered by worry or stress. A life THE FUTURIST! envies intensely. THE FUTURIST! loves and hates The Gentleman at the very same time. In fact, this battle of emotions causes even more stress for the already neurotic and "on the edge" THE FUTURIST!

Occasionally, The Gentleman sends a new communication to Utter Despair. This time it is his Top 5 List of films he viewed in 2010. As stated below, he did not see as many as he wished, but he cobbled together a roster to delight THE FUTURIST! Delight? Not in the case of I'M STILL HERE which he seems to have included. Well, besides that inclusion, THE FUTURIST! wishes The Gentleman a Happy New Year and wishes to cyber hug him for his contributions during the life of this blog.

THE GENTLEMAN OF LEISURE'S TOP 5
NOT VERY DEFINITIVE LIST OF FAVORITE FILMS OF 2010
(in descending order)

I found myself loving a lot of films this year, and I didn't even see everything I wanted to, so my top 5 may not be definitive. But, regardless, I'm very fond of all the films here, and couldn't see my list changing too much.

5. MONSTERS
Inspiring for its budget alone, but also natural, beautiful filmmaking.

4. CYRUS
A funny, real and very likable film from The Duplass Brothers.

3. BAD LIEUTENANT: PORT OF CALL NEW ORLEANS
Complete madness. Caster Troy turns it up to eleven with Werner Herzog at the helm. As Cage says himself in one of many choice quotes: "I just love it!"

2.I'M STILL HERE
I know TF! hated this, but I tried not to read anything about it and saw it soon after it came out. I think that made a big difference in viewing it, I didn't know what I was watching. It could alternately be viewed as rich and brilliantly new, or hollow and pointless. I am in the former camp.

1.GREENBERG
I just love it.


I look forward to another year of being able to watch films!
__________________________________________

THE FUTURIST! is assured you will look forward to another year
of watching films whenever you want to ... in your damnable LEISURE!!

* sigh *

1 comment:

Dara said...

Sorry to hear this Gentleman causes The Futurist! such stress, but it does make for a funny introduction! I wouldn't worry about it, though, he wears sunglasses in the dark. You don't want to be like that. That's not cool. Well, obviously it is, but you know...