ABC reports that their Good Housekeeping tested 3D glasses at seven theaters in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut. They found not one pair to be sterile. They report: "3D glasses given out at cinemas were found to be contaminated with bacteria that can cause conjunctivitis, skin infections, food poisoning, or even sepsis or pneumonia, but docs say that the germs found are no more threatening than what you find on the arm rest, box of popcorn, or movie seats."
THE FUTURIST! recalls seeing JAWS 3-D in the theater years ago. He was given those red and blue tinted paper glasses. After the film, no one collected the glasses after you departed the auditorium for re-use ... he took them home with him ... and he, also, took home a headache from watching the eye crossing blurry 3 dimensional film. At least he did not take home a viral plague.